6.09.2007

Fast Cars

Wall Mural #2, Bristol, Tennessee 2006

My mom called me a few days ago to let me know she got the tickets. Considering the idea impossible, I had already forgotten that I asked her to get me some. Lo and behold, I am going to the race in August. It is a night race, one of the biggest of the year. After the race a couple of months ago (there are 2 a year) they completely ripped the track apart to resurface it. So August will have a brand new track, it will be a lot of fun.

Growing up 20 miles from Bristol, I took for granted the idea of NASCAR. My uncles and cousins were always watching races on Sunday at my grandmother's house. I would be there playing with my toys, eating fried apple pies, drawing, and the race would always be on in the background. Once I made my way to Wisconsin, I found myself without a real ritual on Sunday. Most people have football, but I grew up thinking of football as a Friday night and Saturday afternoon sport. We only cared about High School and College ball, Sunday is for fast cars.

Long story short, I have learned a lot about myself in the last few years and I am definitely a race fan. Thanks, Mom.

No comments: