8.29.2007

Loud & Proud F'N-A!

Thanks to my mother, I had the distinct pleasure of attending the Night Race at the Bristol Motor Speedway in East Tennessee this weekend. She bought me the tickets and I am forever grateful.

I was part of a sold-out crowd of 160,000 people and my seats were perfect (see above). I could go on and on about how awesome it was, but I think it is something better experienced for yourself. If you are not a big race fan, then you may not see the attraction. Personally, I think it rules and I am going to see if I can get these seats for the rest of my life.

I go home to the Southeast at least twice a year to make photographs and see family. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't have a third reason to go home. The real shame is that I have never been there before. I lived 30 minutes from this historic place for 18 years and I never stepped foot in it. My cousins and uncles were always talking about it, but I never saw it. I truly believe that as I get older and now that I have made a life so far away from my roots, it is a blessing that I am able to see the beauty in where I am from.

So many people would rather shed the past and rebuild their life as someone else. I can see where for some people this may be useful. For me, going home makes me more thoughtful and more productive as an artist. It is my muse. I could never really make my life there again, I have grown accustomed to many things where I am. On the same note, I could never turn my back on East Tennessee, I just can't go on without it. East Tennessee will always be my home.

Thanks again, Mom. It was awesome. I wish I could go to another race tomorrow.

1 comment:

-- said...

It's about f#$@in' time. I dropped the architecture gig long ago , couldn't put up with the ego's. I try to stay in touch with the artists that matter. You'd be one of those. Contact me at gunnoej at gmail dot com. Skate or die... Your friend... 5