11.21.2008

Portrait #1

Fred Stonehouse, Milwaukee, WI 2008 ©jwl

Some folks know, others don't, that my new studio space is the former studio for local art hero Fred Stonehouse. In the settling-in process of moving into the space I have been moving things that he used before I came along. Something that I moved is a wall that Fred had built to use as an easel. What is left on the wall are boxes of paint from the edges of his work. After looking at these boxes for a couple of months I thought that before I repaint the wall I should frame Fred in his own work.

This is also a springboard for a new project that I have been thinking about. I would like to make a portrait of all the visitors of me studio. In fact I would like to work on portraits of all my friends, wherever. To the point, I want to make some portraits. What better way to start this project than to sit an artist in his former space. Anyone interested in sitting for me, stop by the studio or gimme a shout.

Thanks to Fred for stopping by, I am happy to know and work with you.

2 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

Oh can't wait to see what happens. I went to HIS website. You have some big shoes to fill or at least, some big vibes to assimilate! I am sure you will do just fine!

Congratulations on your new space. I am sure it will be a great thing for you!

Faythe Levine said...

i like that this is happening right down the street. great shot lawson.