2.20.2015

Bringing 'Em Back To Life

Abandoned Building, HWY 129, TN 2015 © jwl

The Kudzu House is not the only lonely structure I send my love to. I stop along the way and try and give a little to a great many Abandoned Buildings. I wish I could give them all some attention, but there are times when it is hard to stop, or the light isn't right, or there just isn't enough color (maybe that will change since I've been leaning into monochrome lately). There is something lovely and sad about the dead architecture on the side of the road.

Abandoned Building, HWY 411, TN 2015 © jwl

Much of the time, I see them as a symptom of my overarching theme of the Small Road being tossed aside by the Big Road. Other times they are simply a result of the changing times and how we build things differently these days. Whatever causes these structures to become my photographic fodder, I'd like to think that I am giving them a new life. Maybe somehow an eternal life in the eyes of a different audience. Audience, say 'hello' to American Vernacular's Past.

No comments: