2.19.2015

Keep Moving Forward


Broken Mirror, Knoxville, TN 2015 © jwl

Back in 2010, I made a book titled Walking Pictures. The book consisted of 50 photographs taken on walks. These walks began around the my neighborhood in Milwaukee, WI, but the photographs in the book eventually expanded as I would take walks in cities as I traveled.

The idea was to make images on walks, then post them on this blog, after 50 posts we made a book. All of this was simply a way to keep working on photography in a consistant manner. To keep my eyes looking and truly paying attention photographically.

Telephone, Knoxville, TN 2015 © jwl

That book was 5 years ago. Wow. Since then I have relocated to Knoxville, TN, and in that move taken an unexpected hiatus from photography. Now, I feel, I am back in the looking game. I feel energized by the work of photography and I look forward to making some kind, any kind of photograph every day.

Zebra, Knoxville TN 2015 © jwl

I have made the habit of taking my Saturday Drives around the region. Digging in a little deeper than I did when I worked on Southeastern View, a book which was born mostly from my VISITS to Tennessee from Wisconsin. A difference, I feel, that will hopefully shine through as I produce work LIVING in Tennessee.

Where I have stated that sometimes I get blocked up trying to look at the things I see everyday, as though I have to travel or drive out of my element to get inspired. Thus, I take walks still. Camera in hand, not far from home, actively looking at everything and creating images of what I see. These three images are something I made from what I have found recently.


No comments: