8.19.2015

Subversive Vernacular On View In September

 Danger!, Apalachicola, Florida 2015 © jwl

I am excited to shake off the cobwebs and get some art on the walls for this upcoming First Friday event in Knoxville, Tennessee. I will be showing new prints in 2 locations on the 4th of September.

Pulling from mostly new work, I am creating a body of images I call Subversive Vernacular. I feel these newer photographs speak to me in the way that short story fiction often does. As though the viewer can sense that something has gone down in the space or has shown up just after the action stopped and is wondering 'what happened?' or 'what's next...' I'd like to think that the photographs have a quality of mystery to them. The subject matter keeping true to my wanderlust of the American Vernacular Landscape, especially in the Southeastern States.

I am compiling images for a book later in the year and I am considering including some poems or stories to go along with the work. I believe it will enhance the work quite well.


Shed, Highway 25W, Tennessee 2015 ©jwl



For now, you can see some of these pieces on the evening of Sept 4th at


CBI
128 S. Gay St.
Knoxville TN


You can also stroll on up and see more work throughout September at


937 N. Central St.
Knoxville TN

 I look forward to seeing you on First Friday or sometime soon!!

No comments: